Microsoft has released a significant update to its operating system, although most users likely won’t notice. The new version of Windows 10 is delivered via Windows Update, just like the Windows 10 October 2020 version was. It’s being rolled out in staggered intervals to groups of users.
It’s an update through different compilations that arrive associated with the KB5003214 patch. These are optional updates that can be downloaded through Windows Update, Update Catalog, and manual offline updates. The new updates focus on existing bugs that affect Bluetooth or HDR audio and optimize the News and Interests feed.
Changes and improvements
Computers with Windows 10 May 2021 Update will receive Build 19043.1023, while Windows 10 October 2020 Update will get build 19042.1023. Also, those using Windows 10 May 2020 Update will be able to download Build 19041.1023.
Despite the different nomenclature, all three builds offer the same changes. When updating, almost the same message will appear on the screen referring to the KB5003214 patch. These are the changes that come with this patch:
- The “News and Interests” feature will instantly appear on the taskbar when installing this update.
- Improved pointer experience in “News and Interests” to avoid accidental opens.
- The “News and Interests” feed can be started by clicking on the little weather icon on the taskbar that shows the current temperature and forecast by default.
- Microsoft uses the Bing and MSN services to display a selected list of news and interests when you click the icon.
- The “News and Interests” feed can be deactivated by right-clicking the icon in the taskbar and selecting “Disable”.
- Build 19043.1023 comes with improvements in Microsoft’s Your Phone application. The bug that prevents users from launching Android applications attached to the taskbar is corrected. This error has been present since Windows 10 May 2020 Update.
- Fixed an issue that prevents a touch device from acting as a serial mouse in various monitor situations.
- An error that could cause items to appear on the desktop despite being a draft has been solved.
- Addressed video playback issues when users switched from a high dynamic range (HDR) display to a built-in display without HDR.
- Fixed noise issue occurring when enabling spatial audio and using Bluetooth USB headsets.
- Fixed issue that prevents users from receiving geolocation information.
- Performance improvements are also added.
- Addressed an issue that prevents the location service from working on the desktop.
If you have any versions of Windows 10 2004 (Windows 10 May 2020 Update), Windows 10 20H2 (Windows 10 October 2020 Update), Windows 10 May 2021 Update, you can download the update using the usual method. Go to Settings> Update and Security> Windows Update.
In the “Optional updates available” area, you will find the link to download and install the update.